Orca Creative - Minecraft Server
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Orca Creative - Minecraft Server

IP: OrcaCreative.tk

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Dynamic Map for the Server!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dakky

Dakky

Dynamic Map for the Server! Empty
PostSubject: Dynamic Map for the Server!   Dynamic Map for the Server! EmptySun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Hai, I was on another server once and I noticed that they had a live map. This map was viewable in the browser without Minecraft running. Of course I thought that this would be extremely nifty on OC. Now of course OC is not nearly as big of a server as that other server (Thankfully) So it may not be nearly as practical, but this is just a suggestion. I have looked a little into it and found that a lot of servers use Dynmap. I haven't looked much further into this, as I am definitely NOT the one to consult for plugins and stuff but the link I was given for Dynmap is https://dev.bukkit.org/projects/dynmap. I hope you take this inter consideration and reply whenever possible.

~Dakky
Back to top Go down
Sdr
Admin
Sdr

PostSubject: Re: Dynamic Map for the Server!   Dynamic Map for the Server! EmptyMon Jan 02, 2017 11:34 pm

This was a planned addition but it didn't happen for two unfortunate reasons:
1) Rendering a map took forever. I let it run all day rendering FB on a test server and it didn't even finish
2) The resulting file size was beyond ridiculous, somehow out-weighing the actual size of the world it was rendering
The performance hit from rendering and the hard drive hit from the product was just too much for our nimble server so I decided to can the idea. As cool as it is, it just doesn't make sense from a technical standpoint
Back to top Go down
Dakky

Dakky

PostSubject: Re: Dynamic Map for the Server!   Dynamic Map for the Server! EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 6:34 pm

Ah okay. Thanks for replying!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dynamic Map for the Server!   Dynamic Map for the Server! Empty

Back to top Go down

Dynamic Map for the Server!
Page 1 of 1